Saturday, September 15, 2012

Setting an Example

Something hit me about a month ago... Raising kids is leading by example for sure. It is easy to tell them what to do. However, they will follow in your footsteps based on your actions you have displayed over their life time.  The reason I say this, is my mother-in-law has lived a healthy, active lifestyle and her example has inspired me at 38.  With that said my husband and I have made a mission this year of health.  We both quit smoking in January and have remained quitters :-).  Oh and for those who say quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroine is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
We have moved on to working out and eating healthy.  Losing weight is like quitting smoking. We both had to figure out what causes us to crave the bad food and consciously over eat.  I think my cause started when my mom died.  (After 20 years, I realize this).  To deal with pain I stuffed it down with food.
We noticed through this the kids are the ones supporting us. Alex will say "Dad, you're looking smaller" or "Mom, are you working out today?". That is such motivation to stay the course. We are both down ten pounds. It is a slow process but worth it.  Most important I hope the kids see that eating right and excercise is part of a health, good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment